Friday, June 3, 2011

~~Soul food restaurant~~

  When I ask most of the friends in America (not in NYC) what is their favorite cafe most of them would reply Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and when asked for restaurants they would say a famous chain like Olive gardens or Chipotle. I normally avoid those chains and try the local pop and mum restaurants which I even don't know the name , I just used to remember the street.

Today I had dinner with my Japan and Korean friend who were still in NYC. We decided to go to Harlem which have many small restaurants. We finally settled to eat in Sylvia's soul food restaurant which consists of foods traditional in the cuisine of African Americans. We were given corn bread for starters and had french fries made out of sweet potatoes for appetizers. Then I had rice with curry like thing made of okra and tomato along with black eyed peas. Waiter sensing that I m not finding the food spicy brought sauces and pepper to make it spicy and finally told me I can bring my own spices next time when I m in the restaurant. I had sweet potato pie for dessert which was really sweet.

The restaurant was near the 2 train station, I remembered my first time experience walking down to my room from that place. I have come long way from that ,Harlem 125th street is my favorite place to hang out with lots of cheap restaurants and shops it has become a part of my life in NYC.


No comments: