Monday, July 12, 2010

~~Subway Experience~~

New York has a well connected subway system which makes people to cover long distance within a short span of time,a good way to avoid traffic and saves a lot of time.There is station just 50 meters from the place where I stay, 125th street station which is connected by Train No.1. Its one such station in Manhattan where the station is over the road and the subway train will come up from either side of the stations.So its pretty easy to locate the station apart from the other subway station.

Once I reached station I got a metro card from the counter and being a weekend trains going to downtown wont stop at my place so I had to catch the uptown train and go to 137th station and then catch a train back to the downtown.Being a Sunday there were some service works going in the tracks and the train was going as slow as a goods train and since its going underground there isn't much sight seeing either unless you are lucky enough to have something in the compartment.It took some 30 minutes to reach the Penn station.



When I was done for the night after visiting the Empire state building it was past 10 30pm. When I reached the station there was a train right there waiting for me so I quickly boarded the train.It was crowded even at that late hours.When the train crossed crossed the 116th station I sensed something was wrong and when I finally reached the 125th station I found it wasn't the station from where I boarded the train,a simple fact being this station was in underground while the one near my place is on top.When I came out I could figure out where I was and what mistake I made. Instead of taking a train No.1, I took train No.2 and I got landed in Harlem at 11pm, a place people warned me not venture alone at night.At that time I used to think why would I go there during that time but never imagined I will be here so soon.Anyways my place was a mile away from there and I walked fast with my heads straight as a normal Newyorker would do,ignoring whats going on either side of the road and reached home safely.

Lessons learnt
1)Never rush to board a train as there is always a next train within 5 minutes
2)Do look at the train number before you board.

4 comments:

Siva said...

Sri, never miss
"The No Pants Subway Ride" .. guess it is sometime in January.. Watch out for kilis doing it, you'll hit JACKPOT! try it and don't blame if you FREEZE~

check this out

http://improveverywhere.com/2010/01/18/no-pants-subway-ride-2010/

Ganesh said...

Sri... don't worry!! u will jell well in Harlem bros' crowd!! when we meet next time, I will get you an outfit to look like a true new yorker!!

sheila said...

hey sri...nejamaa sollu...therinjukitte thaane antha train la yerine ??

Sriram JP said...

@Siva
will never miss that :))

@Ganesh
haha that shd have been the case :)) yea I m ready to try out new kinds of fashions

@Sheila
naane bayandu poi veetuku vanden idula vennumne train la eruvenaa,station pona vudan train irrunducha haiii namma trainnu eeriten