Sunday, July 11, 2010

~~Visit to Empire State building~~

A trip to New York city is not complete without visiting the empire state building.I didnt have any weekend plans as I got up late then caught up with the world cup match.By evening Prabu one of my young age school mate who has settled down in New York called asked whether we can meet up,next minute I was there in 125th station catching the subway to downtown.



Since it will be more than an hour for my friend to reach downtown I took time to explore the city,I roamed around times square,Madison square garden looking at the skyscrapers on both sides of the road.When my friend finally came we went to subway for a quick snack,its been around 15 years we have met.We talking about our school day,he didnt forget to say"the thing I remember about your house is it will be full of book".We talked till nine, waited for the place to get completely dark ,so that we can get a good view of the city from the top.Then we took a walk to the Empire State Building.



The Empire State built in 1931 is the tallest building in Newyork city and it took just 410 days to build the massive structure.There was a decent crowd when we went in,the way inside was like a maze with lots of turns.We had to wait few minutes at every place for the queue to move up but since we had lots of catching up to do time pass was not an issue.We walked pass the security checks then to lift which takes us up 80 floors in a minute.In the 80th floor we had our friend King kong welcoming us, almost all king movies do have a scene with the empire state building and king kong.From 80th we took another lift to the 86th floor where there is open terrace for the visitors to have a look down at the city.




It was a treat to the eyes watching the city from that angle which we couldn't get anywhere maybe only from the flights.I could see sea of lights as far as I could few things I could spot in the night were the Broklyn bridge,Chrysler building,Hudson river,New Jersey quite a lot of other buildings. The climate was wonderful as my friend was saying its one such day because most of the time place can get too cold,rainy or foggy making the visit to the top not worth the money.Speaking of money it of was a free trip to me because Prabu took care of the expenses for the entire evening.After spending some 30 mintues there and taking few pictures we came down.

We talked for a while then went to our respective stations to catch the train.Will write my experiences in subway in a separate post.

4 comments:

Tony F said...

Got the perfect one to invite you....The king kong :)
Do send a lot of snaps da...

Sundar said...

u got your priorities right, checking out ES bldg first ;)

So many Kili stories have ended happily on the top floor of ES bldg :) e.g, Love Affair, An Affair to Remember, Sleepless in Seattle :)

Sriram JP said...

Yea remembered few of these movies when I was up there :)
Lets see if something happens during the next visit!

sheila said...

sri...significance of the above mentioned movies is valentines day....so...u have a few months to catch your kili :))