Tuesday, August 31, 2010

~~A day out with Hyung~~

Apart from my own brother I have another brother in Chicago whom I call him as Hyung,meaning elder brother in Korean.He is my current class mate and a good mentor of mine.He is from Chicago and I had promised him I would visit him during this summer vacation.Today morning he picked me from Sivaram's place. We took a drive around the Chicago suburbs, we drove around a Skokie,a Jewish village in Chicago where the crime rate is low compared to other parts of the city. There were few shops where the sign where written in Hebrew. Hyung was sharing some interesting experiences he had while working with the Jewish customers. Then he took me to davon street which was littered with Indian shops on either sides.

After this mini trip around the city we went to have lunch at Sweet tomato joined by his wife and kid. This is the first time I m going to a restaurant where I had lots to choose from, there were lots of vegetarian salads, soups pastas, noodles, baked potato, fruits,pastrys etc . After a long time I was little confused on what to take and what to leave.After a wonderful lunch we drove to his home. We had to register for the courses for our next semester ,since we had to take up six courses for the next semester we were discussing how busy our schedule will be, Hyung surprised me by saying he had already taken up something like that before and said about his experience which increased my respect I had on him.


After marriage Hyung and his wife decided to masters, Hyung enrolled to do his MBA and his wife enrolled for masters in arts and science. During one of the semester his wife was pregnant and expecting a baby in the middle of the semester, so his wife could not goto class, either she had to skip the semester or write the exam without attending the class. But Hyung found his class was in evening and his wife's in morning,since it was not clashing he went to his wife's class took notes for her and then in evening attended his MBA classes.In the night he used to teach her whatever he learnt in the morning class.I couldn't even imagine how crazy his schedule would have been that time.He laughed and said though his grades were affected that semester his wife passed out with wonderful grades.

I know people who have written assignments for their wife but attending classes for her is taking dedication to the next level.


17 comments:

Siva said...

He is a very nice guy! Very humble! When we were talking, found out that Riya & his daughter went to same Montessori school last year!

JP said...

நானும் Hyung மாதிரி 1981 லேயே
மாலாவுக்கு ஹெல்ப் பண்ண ட்ரை
பண்ணினேன். எதிராஜ் காலேஜிலே என்னை உள்ளே
விடலை. I wrote assignments only for Mala

sheila said...

I have Shreya helping me with my assignments :))

KG said...

LOL @ JP

Sripriya said...

@JP,

Uncle,you crack jokes like anything, first you attacked Aunty & now Sriram.

@Sriram,
your post reminds me abt my Chitthppa and Chithi who used to helped me for my assignments!

So your HYUNG might have learned a lot, ie his MBA along his wife's course. Great!

Sriram JP said...

Hmmm after reading the comments I can find everybody is having somebody to write their assignments expect for me :(

sheila said...

high time u found a kili to write ur assignments for u ;)

Sriram JP said...

@sheila
it would back fire ,I will end up writing two assignments

JP said...

@ Sripriya
ஜோக்கல்ல....நிஜம்! Every weekend சென்னை சென்று
மாலாவுக்கு assignments எழுதித்தருவேன்.

கல்யாணம் பண்ணியும் பிரம்மச்சாரி!!

Sundar said...

@Sri
Very simple solution:
Find a Kili who has already graduated...or even retired ;)
Haven't you heard of the term "Cougar"?

Sripriya said...

@JP,
Uncle, you should have provided your Idenity or Marriage Certificate to the "Security Guard" or "Watchman" or "Gate Keeper" that you have got an approved license already.

KG said...

@Sundu
hahaha...you cracked me up with "retired" icon :)))..that's sri's plan to!

@JP
i heard abt your latest "stunt" in entering kelleys house ;))

Sriram JP said...

@Sundu
good idea but being a short course we dont have seniors :(

@Priya
anda watchman evalavu pera adu maari paatu irrupan :)

@KG
I never knew about that stunt, what was that ?

JP said...

@ Sripriya

என் சோக கதைய இதுல சொல்ல விரும்பலே!

Siva said...

@Sundu,
Sri romba paavam... Kiliye kedaikala..experience illama
cougar ta ponaka sri katha
kandhal than :-)

sheila said...

@JP
looks like u need to start bloggging your "soha kathais" for our enjoyment :)

@Sri
your blog comments are starting to look more like our "waves"...in fact...even more interesting :))

Sriram JP said...

@Sheila
yea yea enna otartuku daily oru topic kidaikudula :)