Tuesday, September 1, 2009

~~A slice of British life~~

I ended up visiting British Era exhibition on Kumaraguru's suggestion. I never expected an artifact exhibit to be as exciting as this one, not only the products which were on display were looking good ,add to that there were beautiful volunteers at every place explaining how the things work for ignorant people like me.

I took my nephew with me who was pretty excited seeing those stuff. What a leverage he was .I was thinking how clever I was to take this fellow with me.A smart,curious 10 year old was an instantaneous attraction to the volunteers around who trying their level best to make him understand how those old things work. I on my part encouraged him to ask questions. And he asked some brilliant questions like why cant those fans run on electricity , why do people make different kinds of chairs. I was enjoying every moment of it.

Then there some pretty good things which were on display like artistic chairs,cupboards,clocks ,old printing presses table lamps ,gramophones,iron boxes,utensils,fans and lot more apart from the volunteers. Will attach pics taken there sometime soon.

There were lot of quotes said by British about India pasted all over the place. One thing which interested me was the one by Lord Macauley .

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not
seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation?.
I m not sure whether this was said by Macauley but it is worth giving a thought.

Special thanks to KG once again for making a Sunday evening memorable one ;)

3 comments:

SATHIYA said...

Wow, I couldn't believe the quote!!!! Isn't this crazy, WOW!!!! How could one think like this!! not only think but execute this and the impact of this in a nation for several decades!!!!!!

Interesting, Where is British Era exhibition? I just suggested KG should create a list of Place by city and suggest place to visit and dishes to eat!!!

KG said...

Sri, Glad you took my suggestion and had great time.

Yes..Sathi..that's damn famous quote

Sriram JP said...

British era exhibit was displayed in lalitha Kala academy

yea KG is blogging many places n the dishes to eat there, once he s done we will ask him to make a list :)