Saturday, September 19, 2009

~~Obituary:Thenkachi ko Swaminathan~~

I felt sad when I read the news Thenkachi ko Swaminathan has passed away. My thoughts went back to my childhood days , the time Thenkachi ko Swaminathan was working in All India Radio delivering his popular daily programme 'Indru Oru Thagaval'. Even though it was just a 5 minute program he used to convey a short story,wonderful message and a cranky joke to give a perfect finish. My dad's daily routine was to hear this program and start the day with a positive note then leave to office.

Once he had come to Trichy to deliver a speech , my dad took me to that event. He was exactly looking opposite to way I imagined,looking pretty serious for a person who cracks jokes at will.Then I came to know that was his speciality throughout his speech he was making us laugh mad but he was as serious as if nothing had happened. Best thing he was making fun of himself rather than other people.That one of the wonderful speeches I have listened to,never realised how soon an hour passed away.

In that speech he was telling about his early days in AIR,when he used to be anchor for Uzhavar Ulagam(farmer's program). His first assignment was to convey the message to spray insecticides to the crops,in the manual it was told to mix 10 litres of water with one litre of insecticide and spray in the crop field. He delivered the information as take a bucket full of water ,pour a mug full of insecticide in that take a long stick and use it mix them well and then spray it on the field.Next day a group of farmers came to AIR office to meet him, he was afraid that his message might have messed up their crops but what they told him was they have listened to Uzhavar Ulagam for many years and this is the first time they have understood what was conveyed in that program.

He will be remembered for starting the day for several people accross Tamil Nadu with his wonderful messages.

No comments: