Monday, September 21, 2009

~~Building structures and boxes~~

My US aunt's niece(Keerthi) has recently joined Architectural Engineering course in Chennai. Last week when I went to her house I gave her few e books related to her subject.

Today being a holiday on the account of Ramzan, I was thinking on how to kill my time
when Keerthi called and asked my help in helping out building a structure made of matchsticks.Its been quite a while I have done tasks like this but its always interesting to try out stuffs like these. When I reached her place she almost completed more than half of the structure with a proper foundation.I gave few suggestions here and there and got involved in the work. It took two more hours to finish the whole thing. Picture below shows the model we made.





Then she said she has another assignment to make a cigarette box which is little bigger than the normal one. And she had ruined two cigarette boxes while trying to decode the structural logic behind it. I carefully took one box and examined it properly ,it was the first time I got time to admire the beauty of it ,a 21.5 * 7.5 rectangular piece of paper can be folded into a flip open box. Then with dimensions 50% larger than the previous we made a cigaratte box. But one careless cut while folding the sheet made a box look little awkward.

It feels good to revisit engineering basics !

No comments: