Tuesday, September 21, 2010

~~chequed~~

There are few basic things people in US didn't inform me earlier and had to be learnt only after experience. When I got my bank statement today I was surprised to see that I was charged with a $34 dollar over draft fine. I remembered I wrote a cheque last week for my friend and I had enough money in the account to cover the same.

I came to know that cheque debit the money from the current account and not the savings account.In my case I had all my money in the savings account and when they tried to debit money from current account they found there was nothing in there and charged me a penalty.Generally in India its with the savings account we make transaction and current account will rarely be used.
But in US with interest rate in few pennies I don't find any reason to store why they need some thing called a savings account.

6 comments:

sheila said...

Some things you learn from others...
Some things you learn from your own mistakes (assumptions)...
btw...if are still spelling 'check' as 'cheque' u may be further penalized :))

Sripriya said...

In my bank,the money is deducted automatically from my savings account when no funds are available in Checking account!

A funny thing happened last Week,
I wrote a check (for six dollars) to my son's school for his field fees. The school's bank took only six dollars but My bank deducted sixty one dollars from my account!
???

Ambudu said...

@Sri,

Talk to your bank; Be nice; Tell them you're a student blah..blah..blah.. you cant afford it..you can always get it waived.

sheila said...

@ Sri
bank la yaaraavathu friendly paati irukaangalaa nnu paaru....OD may get waived:)

Sundar said...

@Sri
Usually, if you request very nicely, the Bank will waive the fee since this is your first time. Post an update after you request them to waive :)

Sriram JP said...

@checked(2)

@Priya did u check with your banker?

@Siva done!

@Sundu update posted :)