Thursday, January 7, 2010

~~Surprise Show~~

KG called me on Sunday saying that he has booked for a surprise show on Tuesday evening.He said he will take me to a place I haven't seen and show which occurs once in a blue moon in Chennai. I was in the game.

During the movie I asked him where we are supposed to go ,he proudly replied KATHAKALI show. I asked him have he seen a Kathakali show which he told was going to be his first experience. He then added the show is in tamil since the title sounds familiar ,poor KG didn't know there are few words which are common in both tamil and malayalam. I was sure it wont be in tamil.

To enjoy a Kathakali show there are few prerequisites
1)Should know Malayalam
2)Should understand the sign language of the dancers
3)last but not the least needs lots of patience!
Neither of the three was present in our gang, may be I could pass on with the 1st requirement but never the last.

I remembered my 1st kathakali show which was a learning experience ,where the artist himself took pains to get us know what is that all about.In simple words its not a dance but a drama enacted in a sign language.


Once into the auditorium we were comfortably seated at the back row, a place from which we leave anytime during the program. First there were lots of drumbeats and the two people carried the screen which was more or less looking like a bedsheet. Then the Kathakali person was dancing behind the screen ,we were waiting for the screen to be removed but for more than 20 minutes he was dancing for the people who were holding the screen(only they could see). KG passed a comment whether that fellow is taking bath behind the screen which made me laugh and also made few people to give angry looks at us.

Finally the screen was taken and the program got started , there were two people using enacting script in sign language and we were looking like dumbass.It was more than 45 minutes in the program and the only thing added was we saw one more kathakali person.Then n there they would hug then stare then sit then stand move around, again sit stand hug and move around.The more the program continued more restless we became. Finally we called it off run silently from the auditorium and once outside ran faster such that no one could pull us back in.

Hope this will be the last Kathakali show KG sees :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kathakali show exp, Hehehe made my day

Sriram JP said...

hahaha but it spoiled our evening esp Swathi's :)

the passionate said...

haha.:) nice experiences, right!.
It gives me a real feel of what the rest of the people who doesnt know to follow kathakali feels about that art. people like us trying our best to see kathakali whenever possible :).. my suggestion, first start to see 5 day cricket tests and ranji trophy matches being played in chidambaram stadium, then u will get required patiences and stamina to see a full kathakali performance :). But I dont think you wil try it again in your life :))

Sriram JP said...

@Vikarabharithan Hope I got your name right :)
thanks for your suggestions. I think I can watch a Kathakali show rather spending five days watching a test match ;)
And it wont be my last.Next time when I go for a kathakali show I will make sure I take a person who knows Malayalam or atleast the sign language and translates the same for me.