Tuesday, January 19, 2010

~~My dad's birthday and my mum's gift~~

When I was in Trichy last week my mother and me were discussing what gift to buy for my dad, it was the same usual discussion she gave specifications like the gift which we get should be used everyday,memorable and its something which he hasn't got a chance to experience in his lifetime.Since my holidays was cut short by two days I didn't have time to go for shopping. So while leaving Trichy my mum told she will use the money I gave her few weeks back to get a gift for dad.

I remember one of my birthday present where my mum gifted me a wall clock and hung it in our living room. Since she wanted to change the clock in the living room she found my birthday as an excuse.Feeling cheated,I asked her in what way this gift will be useful to me,she said whenever you see the time you will remember that it was gifted by her and its one thing which is used everyday.Even now when I go home and see the time I remember this incident.

Since I gave her the choice to make the final decision , I called her sometime during the weekend to check whether she has made up her mind to get one. As usual it started with the same discussion.

Mum: I need to gift something which he likes the most .
Me: Get books ,he likes those more than you !
Mum: NEVER , I wont be responsible in adding to the garbage we have in our house.
Me: What about dresses?
Mum: He has stuffs which will last for the entire life time .( I think the same applies to your sarees and salwar collection)
Me: Why don't you cook something special for the day?
Mum: What to cook?
Me: Leave its a bad idea ,not on his birthday!

This conversation continued we were discussing about some electronic stuff which he will never use or accessories which wont impress him. Finally it was my mum who nailed what to do.

Mum : Sri,last time when we are getting ready for a reception I asked your dad how I am looking, before leaving!
Me: ok
Mum He didn't give me a proper answer
Me:So?
Mum:There is a problem in his eye sight!
Me:ooh
Mum:So this birthday I m going to take him to an eye doctor ,have a through check up and will get him new glasses
Me:mmmm
Mum:See the thing I m getting him will be used by him everyday and give him a new experience!
Me: Amma ,you are brilliant!!!

Hope my dad had a wonderful birthday gift :)


5 comments:

KG said...

hahahaha :) problem not in his eye-sight.

He's gentleman and is very diplomatic in not giving right reply to Mala :)

He should have said "You look awful' :)

(ask your mom to read my comment)

KG said...

on the other hand, he can also say "My dear, i should have done this before. I never thought you looked so beautiful"....missed to see that all these years"....:) :) :)

KG said...

Sriram...this post is too tempting and i need to post my another comment too :)

After wearing glass, JP will also say "All these years i thought you looked beautiful" :)

(Anyway - your mom is not getting wiser with this gift choice)

Sripriya said...

Mala aunty disappointed me! Thought going to get a wonderful gift!

Sriram JP said...

@ sripriya
hehe ask dad I think he likes it :)