Sunday, May 31, 2009

Getting back a book after twenty years!!

My dad never compromises anything for books, to get a book from him is asking one to move a mountain.Over the past 40 years he has spent quite a fortune on books,now our house has become too small to hold all the books.After I moved out, my room has become like a store room for his ever increasing collection.

Even though he has this huge collection,he doesn't have the magnanimous mind to give his book to anyone.To get a book from our house,one should either steal the book or get it from me or my mum when my dad is not around. In both cases he will never find out the missing book.But if one does the impossible by convincing him to lend a book he never forgets it until the same is returned back.

My uncle long long ago somewhere during the mid eighties had convinced my dad and borrowed reader s digest collector's edition of 'Write better Speak better'.But somewhere down the line he forgot the whole incident.Not my dad I have seen him mentioning about this book whenever he sees a reader digest collection or whenever he remembers that uncle.Since I wasn't a witness when the book was borrowed I could not confirm that incident.

This weekend I went to KK Nagar(that uncle s parental home) with my grandma. I was browsing through their bookshelf ,there were few bounded volumes which hardly noticed.My grandfather removed one book from deep bottom and gave it me,mentioning it was my dad's, it was the same book and to prove it my dad he has scribbled his signature dated 26/07/1979. It was like getting back the lost treasure after a generation.I don't think I m interested in reading that book but next time when I go home I will get it back to my dad who will take it back as his lost child.

1 comment:

SATHIYA said...

JP will be proud of you!!!! :)