Friday, February 5, 2010

Book I read..


After seeing China from the Indian border at Nathu La, I was eager to learn more about it. A country which reinvented itself over the span of 25 years which takes enough care that negative things about it never reaches its own people.

KG sent me a mail two weeks back

Sri - i heard from one of my net-friend that this book is excellent. It's all about life in china, written by Pallavi Iyer. I knew the author and have read her columns regularly in Hindu. She was there for 5 years. Now i think she moved over to...(forget the country!).

Smoke and Mirrors: An Experience of China

Read it and tell me, how it is!“Smoke and Mirrors: An Experience of China”Read it and tell me, how it is!"


I immediately booked a copy from flipkart and got it delivered within two days. Flipkart has really changed the way I buy books making it much simpler easier and time saving one.



Coming to the book it broke all perceptions I had about China , there were lots of new information which were unique and thought provoking. The book had 12 chapters ranging from the makeover happened during the Beijing Olympics 2008 to train to Tibet launched in 2006. Apart from that the book was filled with funny perceptions Chinese have, common English errors people there make, the Chinese style of thinking,their devotion to work etc.

The chapter I liked the most was " The factory of the world" which gives a clear pictures on how industrialization took major leap during the later part of the 20th century. How all people in a unheard village called as Huaxi are millionaires only by depending on trade. In spite of the strict government regimes the people of the village found a way to come out of it and built their own empire. Its not a top down approach but rather a bottom up approach.

Reading about Tibet is something which I was looking forward and the author has dedicated a whole chapter to it.Finally a chapter comparing India and China, pin pointing the advantages and disadvantages both the countries has.Indians always use to compare themselves with China,its very difficult to reach their but not impossible,

A good,funny and informative read !

1 comment:

KG said...

she has moved over to Brussels.

keep the book safe!