Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Vinayaka Chaturthi Experiments

This Vinayaka Chaturthi I decided to make Kozhukattai s,as always my roomie Arvind was thrilled at this idea and was helping me in all ways possible to get it done. First I gave him the task of grating the coconut.In the mean time I was taking care rice flour mix to get boiled and in the same time not to get it burned by heat.Till then everything was going on course,then trouble started.



We were on to the difficult task of putting poornam inside the rice cups or rather wrap the rice mix around the pooram.Now we realised our rice mixture was not up to the mark,it was getting breaking into pieces.To make one kozhukattai we struggled a lot, when placed on the plate it was getting breaking into pieces again.With great difficulty we managed to make four kozhukattai s.I said to Arvind lets first test this then continue further.I kept 4 kozhukattai which are of different shapes and sizes into the cooker and allowed it stream it.When I opened my cooker I saw our kozhukattai were in pathetic state all were blasted apart and pooram spilling over it. I was about to taste it,abruptly stopped by Arvind he said without giving the so called kozhukattai to Vinayaka we shouldn't eat.He didnt stop here ,took the kozhukattais to the Vinayaka idol and started praying.Poor Vinayaka if at all he
had mouth he would have cried,would nt have expected to treat him like this that too on his birthday.Anyways we needed complete the rest of kozhukattai s and I know my using the traditional style we would never make it any better. So I started keeping kozhukattai s in burger style with poornam stuffed inside two flat rolls of rice dough.This time it also it no better than last time. But one good thing was it was eatable. Now Arvind too had lost patience and asked me find the way to get over the rest of the stuff. I mixed remaining pooram and rice and streamed it in the cooker. We got some messy stuff. We ate the same for lunch.

There were lots remaining ,I know if I kept in the home it will be wasted ,so I took it office.It was punishment for my friends working with me.They had to eat what I gave.There is one guy from UP named Anand ,he liked the dish very much and finished every bit of it.At last I was glad that there is somebody to appreciate whatever mess I made!

No comments: